Sri Lanka vs South Africa ODI played yesterday at the Oval. Sri Lanka after winning the toss
invited South Africa to bat. South Africa defeated Sri Lanka by 96 runs [299/6 (50)] in Group B
of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017. Sri Lanka failed to chase the target and all wickets fell for
203 after 41.3 overs. Sri Lanka lost the match for variety of reasons:
- For Sri Lanka’s un luck, Mathews missed the opening game as he was injured. If he had
played perhaps the results would have been different.
- Although Sri Lanka’s first few wickets scored well (Niroshan Dickwella and Upul
Tharanga), the middle-order batsmen were unsuccessful.
- Malinga missed the most wanted catch, a rather straightforward catch, given by Faf Du
Plessis when he was just only eight runs. Faf later dominated the batting side and scored
75 runs to the dismay of the Sri Lankans.
- Sri Lankan bowlers failed to control runs and take wickets, particularly in the middle
overs of the match. Between 10 th and 30 th overs South Africa scored a mammoth 130
giving a solid basis for them.
- The spinner of the team Seekkuge Prasanna could not take control of the great batting of
Faf and Amla who scored 72 runs in 10 overs of Prasanna.